Apollo
We had decided to have him neutered and he had to go in for a pre-surgery checkup. Listen to his heart, lungs, and verify he has 2 nuts. (haha) So I talked to Dr. Wood (appropriate name after talking about neutering) about his vomiting. We got some pills and after 3 pills a day for 3 days he was finally able to eat and drink and keep everything down. A day and a half later I wake up to diarrhea ALL over my kitchen. He even managed to get it on my cabinet doors. GROSS
It took an emotional toll of both the hubs and I. We felt helpless. Not knowing what was wrong with him. He was constantly sleeping and not wanting to play, not like him. We didn't know who this dog was. He hadn't gotten into anything, and we couldn't figure out what would cause him to get sick like this. After 2 days of nasty poop the Hubs took him back to the vet. He talked with Dr. Wood and came to the conclusion that a PIG EAR was to blame.
My vet HATES pig ears, raw hides, and any equivalent to them. She said when you give these 'treats' to your dogs pieces are swallowed before they are chewed. If they are large pieces they can cause an obstruction (requiring surgery to have it removed) or if they are smaller pieces they float around in the stomach causing irritation (which is what happened to Apollo). These treats take forever to digest thus causing problems to last longer than normal. Once we got Apollo to stop throwing up and keep food down, it pushed his little piece of pig ear into his intestines and had been irritating his bowels (causing the diarrhea). So from now on, the only treats my dogs get are milk bones!
feeling a little better
Apollo had his first 'normal' poop last night. I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I can finally stop worrying (for now). The baby is finally on the mend and feeling better just in time to go back to the vet on Monday to lose his nuts! I'm such a mean mommy :)


No comments:
Post a Comment