Monday, January 23, 2012

Quality Time

I spent some time with my gramma this past Saturday. The woman can talk but most of all she really knows how to listen. She doesn't judge. Life, love, loss, work, money, and family were among topics we talked about. No matter how long I am there, it doesn't seem to be long enough. Time goes by so fast when we are together.

The one person I always want to talk and hear about is my granddaddy (her husband). He died when I was 10 months old, almost 27 years ago. I always wonder what my life would have been like if he would have been here. She does too. I learned a little more about his personality and attitude. Got to hear some fun stories about my mammie and her sister and brothers. Those never get old. haha

When I showed up and hugged and kissed her. She said, 'you smell really good, is it your hair? wearing perfume?' Yes gramma, all of that and the fact that I've been trying to quit smoking. She was excited! We talked about how hard it's been. How my days at work go by so fast but once I get home it gets difficult. She said, 'If it helps, treat it like dessert. Have one, to help take the edge off and then go do something "FUN".' Now, I don't feel so bad for doing that.  :) Gramma says it's okay and that's how she went about quitting all those years ago. Some days I don't have one at all, but the weekends are always harder. When I'm bored and not busy, it's all I want. It's getting easier with every passing day.

One day at a time, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment